This is my most favourite ‘sweet’ recipe from Mary Berry(OoOoh I love that gal :))Make it! you will be sooo popular 🙂...and make sure you send me some! 😉
For the base
For the topping
- 175g butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 x 397g can condensed milk
200 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
1. Set the oven to 160C/gas2. Lightly grease a 20cm x 33cm oblong/ Swiss roll tin.
2. Place all the ingredients for the base into a food processor and
whizz together until they form a smooth dough (if preferred this can be
done by hand in a bowl).
3. Press the mixture into the base of the Swiss roll tin and prick
with a fork. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until golden and firm. Set
aside to cool.
4. To make the topping, place the butter, sugar, syrup and condensed
milk into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the butter has
5. Bubble the mixture gently for five to eight minutes, stirring all
the time until thick and fudge-like. Pour over the cold shortbread in
an even layer. Leave to cool.
6. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
7. Pour the chocolate over the toffee and leave to set. Cut into small squares and store in an airtight tin.