Let’s Make Mary Berry’s Millionaires Shortbread
For the base
- 225g plain flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 225g butter
- 100g semolina
For the topping
- 175g butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 x 397g can condensed milk
200 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
1. Set the oven to 160C/gas2. Lightly grease a 20cm x 33cm oblong/ Swiss roll tin.
2. Place all the ingredients for the base into a food processor and
whizz together until they form a smooth dough (if preferred this can be
done by hand in a bowl).
3. Press the mixture into the base of the Swiss roll tin and prick
with a fork. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until golden and firm. Set
aside to cool.
4. To make the topping, place the butter, sugar, syrup and condensed
milk into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the butter has
5. Bubble the mixture gently for five to eight minutes, stirring all
the time until thick and fudge-like. Pour over the cold shortbread in
an even layer. Leave to cool.
6. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
7. Pour the chocolate over the toffee and leave to set. Cut into small squares and store in an airtight tin.
This is a delicious treat for all the family and could be made at any time of the year because it is so quick and easy to rustle up! It’s ideal for presents too, but especially at Christmas when we are all allowed a little indulgence! They can be cut into small or large pieces and hold their shape quite well if you want to put them in Mason Jars to add that special touch!
I hope you try this recipe and if you do…let me know how you got on 🙂
Bye for Now and Happy Cooking!